Saturday 27 August 2011

Don't Grow Up


 We grow up fast; we forget what it is like to be a child. For a child has a favorite colour, animal, and friend. But we grow; ready to throw those things behind us. Only wanting to be grown up faster. How sad. We forget the beauty in the world, like the first snow fall of winter, or the morning sun.  Instead, we trade that to rush to work and than rush home, so the next day we can start it all over again, just to make a few dollars. With those few dollars we make our kingdom bigger and better, begging the world to notice how great we have become.



When I was child it was so easy to find God. I found him everywhere and in everything. Now all I seem to be able to find is rules and religion. I still look for this

God of my youth, but deep down I know that I will never find him again. For my days of believe in anything so easily are gone.   I miss the days of boredom on a warm summer’s day, when school was a distant thought and my life amounted to no more than catching the next butterfly or climbing the tallest tree. Being a child, you see the world through pure eyes. Not seeing the terror or evil that exists in the world. Only see just beyond your front porch. Where friends are easily made and a great adventure is always just about to begin.



As adults, we teach children right from wrong, demanding that we they see the world though our eyes. Telling them it will get them farther in the world. Maybe this is true, I am not certain of that yet. What if we were to look through a child eyes again, seeing only what they see. What would we find? The desperate urge to be old and mature? Or maybe just the gentle longing to read a book, a book that I use to love in my youth. But I have since out grown it. As will most children. I beg you child, don’t grow up. Hold on to this moment in your life, where the world is soft and pretty. Hold on to your fairy tales and puppet plays. Hold on to your favorite books and colours. Hold on.  For this world had enough adults trying to make a few bucks. But we lose the dreamers and wonders when they grow up. So with my last thought on this page and with this final breath of air that I breathe in, I beg you, dear child, don’t be too eager to see the world through adult eyes. For your eyes will make this world an adventure to live in everyday. Don’t grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment